Saturday, August 5, 2017

Jackfruit Gyros

So I decided it was time to add a little adventure to my dining routine. Recently, I have been cooking the same things. I decided to try something I had never tried before. I decided that I would try Jackfruit. And I would make Jackfruit gyros.

Now, many of you are saying what is a Jackfruit? Here's the trivia. It's the national fruit of Bangladesh. And it looks a little something like this.
Obviously, this isn't something we see at our local grocery store. Since it is an Asian fruit, you will probably need to go to your local Asian food store to purchase it. Or order a can of it off of Amazon. It's up to you.

So why make jackfruit gyros? It's simple. Jackfruit can be used as a meat substitute. It's low in fat, and it kind of picks up the taste of the items it is served with.

Here's What You Need

1 Tablespoon butter
1 large onion sliced thinly
1 20 oz can of jackfruit in brine.
3/4 cup of vegetable broth
4 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons oregano
1 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce
3/4 teaspoon ground coriander

Here's What You Do

Heat you butter in a skillet over a medium heat. Add the onion and saute it for three or four minutes. Add the jackfruit and cook it 20 minutes  or until is it browned and caramelized. Add your brother half of the lemon juice, oregano, soy sauce, and coriander. And cook until the liquid is almost evaporated. Then add the remaining lemon juice. Serve it up in a pita.

So let me know what you think of the jackfruit gyros.





No comments:

Post a Comment