Saturday, February 9, 2013

The Unswept


Listening to music about surfing always makes me think of summer. So when I heard the song Surf Song, by The Unswept, a smile crossed my face. Surf Song is the title of the new EP the band has put out.

The duo consists of Ryan O’Brien and Charlie O’Brien. They are cousins, who are originally from England, but they now call Chicago home.  They attended university in London and played in a band. When that band broke up, they formed .

So now that you know a little about the band members you’re thinking what about the music right? The first thing I thought when I heard Surf Song was The Beach Boys.  The guitar work was similar to other surf music. And the lyrics of the song brought a vivid picture of a day at the beach.  It made me want to hear more of their music.
Surf Song 89 by The Unswept
 

The second song on the EP, She’s So Cool, is about a girl who is about an artist. You know the type of girl that makes all the other girls jealous. The song will make you want to sing along.

You’re Going Home is a song with a fast tempo. It’s one of those songs that sound fun and lighthearted, but when you listen to the lyrics you realize this is kind of sad. It’s kind of like someone who is putting on a happy face when they are feeling sad. The happy face is the fast fun melody, and the sadness is the lyrics.

And the final song Get Away reminded me of some of R.E.M’s songs. I couldn’t pinpoint exactly which one, but maybe it was the catchy melodies paired with lyrics telling someone to Get Away.

Overall, I really liked the feel of the music on this EP. I liked the catchiness of the music, and I liked that each of the songs made me want to get up and do something.

So hopefully, The Unswept will keep putting out more music, and maybe come to a venue near me so I can hear them play live.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment