Sunday, December 15, 2013

Flush Me Freddy by Angela Ambrosini

I had the opportunity to interview Angela Ambrosini the author of Flush Me Freddy. Here is the interview and the review of her book Flush Me Freddy.



Can you describe your book in 30 words or less?
I would describe it as, uncomfortably evocative.


How did you come up with the title of your book?
Since the main character of the story is the only one with a name, Freddy, I thought adding the description of what happens to him to be the actual title. I remember calling my sister one morning and she telling me she was in the process of flushing her kid’s fish because it just died then she asked me gracefully, “so are you coming over for dinner?”


Who is your favorite character in your book and why?
I think my favorite character in the book is the main girl. Notice that I have not given names to any characters but the fish in the book. This style of writing, I believe, is called micro-fiction. I want the reader to focus on the events happening and how it affects them on a personal level rather than focus on a name that might remind them of a person they know. It’s common for people to associate names with bad or even good events and I feel that this would have given readers a different insight into the book.


The main character in your book has to flush her pet goldfish Freddie as a child. The incident is something she revisits often throughout her life. Do you think that what often seem to be small incidents to most people can be an event that individuals play through several times throughout their lives?
Yes. This is a main reason why I wrote the book. I grew up believing that when we are faced with even the smallest events in life we tend to overlook them. Overlooking these small events is what can sometimes cause much larger issues. I want my readers to spend the time reading my story and take the time to really see their life  – hoping to notice even the smallest moments they almost missed.

In your book the mother states you need to make all major life decisions by age 21, was that something you were told, and do you think that most of your life is shaped by age 21?
This is something I was told by my mother that eventually stayed with me. I realize when I became an adult that this was a mother’s way of getting out of something such as allowing their child to go to a party, etc. I always found it humorous and wanted to share this with my readers. It’s those simple things our mother’s tells us that I think are most memorable ones.

When did your interest in writing begin, and why did you become interested in writing?
It started out as a test to see how readers react towards characters without names. It then became something more – I added a lot of childhood memories and began to tangle in a simple story that I feel most people can relate to. Growing up in a world where my family didn’t really understand English, I depended on visual memorization and body language to communicate. This story was a great way to express that.


I really like the simplicity of the cover of your book, who designed it, and what was the inspiration?
Thank you! I designed it- I am a creative/marketing director with a master degree in design. I added the fish to the to simulate how the fish itself, like my main character in the book, the girl, was trapped in her life and was trying to escape the book or the minds of the readers– if you will.

Tell me a little bit about where you are from and has that had any influence on the book you wrote?
I was born in Brooklyn, NY. My family is from Italy and English is my second language. I always found communication in different languages and cultures profound and interesting. I am trying to communicate without barriers. Barriers to me sometimes in stories are characters names, points of references like specific dates – with my book I am focused on using extreme visuals. I wanted to create a visually stimulating story with nothing but paper and words.


What makes a good book in your opinion?
A good book, in my opinion, is one that keeps you wanting more.

Do you have plans for any other books?
Yes. I have a novel completed – a spin off of Flush Me Freddy. It was the original story I wrote before Flush Me Freddy and am hoping it will be the next to be published.




Flush Me Freddy is the new short chap book by Angela Ambrosini. The book focuses in on a few events that occur in a female’s life. As the female moves through life these events affect the way she views life. Like real life, there are small events that shape her attitudes. An event from her childhood will connect to an event as a young adult.

Angela describes the events in the book in a way that made it easy to visualize what was occurring in the story. And like real life, it is often the small things in the background that make an event so real. It can be one phrase from a conversation, or the odor in the background that makes a memory vivid. Angela has done an excellent job of bringing these events to life in Flush Me Freddy.


When I received the book from Angela, I wasn’t sure what to expect. I wasn’t really sure what a short chapter book was. But I was really pleased with the book. It is short, and it is extremely well written. You can easily read it in an hour. And after I finished reading it, I thought about some of the events that have shaped my life. If you’re looking for a book that will make you reflect on your life, this is the book for you. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Heidi, thanks for joining my hop and for introducing me to this book! I'm intrigued to read it now!

    Hope to see you stop by next Sunday!

    Juls
    X

    ReplyDelete